To request a home visit please complete a Lab Request Form and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please record clearly on the form that a home visit is required and the day needed if the timing is important.
Home Visit Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for a home visit, patients must:
- Be housebound due to ill health or have impaired mobility; be unable to manage everyday tasks such as grocery and shopping errands; and have no support person to provide transport to a collection centre to be eligible for a home visit.
- A request for a home visit must be made by the referring medical practitioner or nurse practitioner – not the patient, their caregiver or relative.
- Any changes to a home visit request must be communicated to us by the referring medical practitioner or nurse practitioner – not the patient / caregiver or relative
- Bookings are restricted to patients living within a 20km radius of the nearest SCL collection centre.
- Bookings will not be accepted for patients requiring restraint unless assistance is available.
Request a Home Visit
- Requests for a home visit must be made by the referring medical practitioner or nurse practitioner – not the patient, caregiver or relative.
- The home visit request form must not be given to the patient to present.
- Please make requests for a home visit at least 24 hours in advance of the requested booking day (Tuesday to Friday). Requests for a Monday must be made by 5pm on the preceding Thursday to allow for scheduling.
- We require the Home Visit Coordinator to be notified if there are any particular specifications with regard to the testing e.g. fasting or drug levels.
- Fill in Lab Request Form and email to email@example.com and phone 06 872 6450
- To make an Urgent Request, please phone 06 872 6450
- Note: These requests must be clinically urgent.
Hours of Service
- Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays) 7.30am – 4.00pm.
- Note: It is not possible to arrange a set time for a home visit.
Home Visit Management
- If the patient is not home when we call, SCL reserves the right to request the patient to attend one of our collection rooms in the area.
- Patients or caregivers should inform their referring medical practitioner or nurse practitioner as soon as possible if circumstances change that could affect their eligibility for a home visit e.g. patient admitted to hospital etc.
- The medical practitioner or nurse practitioner must contact SCL as soon as possible should there be any changes to their patient’s requirements.
- Patients who are considered to no longer require home visits will be discharged from the service after consultation with the referrer.
- We require a rest home staff member to be available to assist with identification as many patients are unable to self-identify.
- The rest home visit will not proceed if the Phlebotomist is not able to positively identify the patient.
- Patients must ensure that all pets are restrained and that the mobile Phlebotomist can safely gain access to the patient’s home.
- Patients not home at the time of a visit will be advised to contact their referring medical practitioner or nurse practitioner as soon as possible to avoid the cancellation of their home visit. A letter will be sent to the referrer to confirm that home visits are still required for the patient.
- The home visit will not proceed if the Phlebotomist is not able to positively identify the patient.
- Patients who are unable to effectively communicate their identification, e.g. non-English speaking, must provide photo ID or have a support person present who can provide identification.
To contact us regarding anything to do with the Home Visit Service please contact us – call: 06 872 6450 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org